Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Home for the Holidays

Vavstuga Tree
Happy Holidays Blog Fellows,

I am pleased to report that I and my lovely new woven goods are once again located in South Dakota. I apologize for the lapse between blog entries. But, as you have heard before, the Internet connection was not always my friend when I had time to blog. A couple of my favorite followers wanted a blog-style end to my journey, so I am home obliging.

I had a whirlwind of a final five weeks. Three classes came and went from Vavstuga, and I was given time to weave many projects. On my last day we had a celebration of all the items I wove over the past six months. Each was representative of some technique or use of materials that I had not experienced prior to my Vavstuga apprenticeship.


At the final Vavstuga celebration of the year, there was a wonderful soup and salad lunch made by Becky and Susan, complete with fresh baked bread. Past apprentice friends, Mary and Sarah were able to join us for a terrific holiday party. The meal was finalized with a cake made to commemorate one of my most stunning items, the wool smalandsvav mounted on a fleece. Creative and delicious.

Gary flew out to Hartford, Conn. on Friday, the 14th. He and I headed east Saturday afternoon, amassing over $90 in tollway fees. I won't miss that feature of east coast travel. This trip was a little different from our relaxed summer vacation ride east. This time we hustled across the 2,200 miles of blacktop, and saw only interesting sites visible from I-90 or its adjacent gas stations.


We were pleased to get to stay with my brother John and his family for a night in Brookings, SD. The timing was perfect for a quick look at his new "big green machine" and dinner with the family.

We headed through the worst snow of the trip toward home between Sioux Falls and Chamberlain. By the time we reached Wall, it was dry earth and blue sky. We made a quick stop to check on Tom and Georgia in Rapid City. Then, pointed south to home, where a fun greeting awaited me as I drove through town.

Tilly at two days old.

In a couple of days, we will be on the road once again to see the newest addition to the Slagel clan; Matilda "Tilly" Jeanne. I can't wait to experience the "new baby" smell and hear her call me "Grandma"!


Becky and Susan with Nordic Mittens
A great thank you goes out to my Massachusetts  friends and mentors, Susan and Becky, for all that they shared with me over the past six months. I am sure to hear their voices in my head as I work through the many projects I have planned.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment