Monday, October 29, 2012

Storm's a Brewin'

Golden behind the house
Hello Blogfellows,

I am afraid I have little new in the way of textiles to show this week as all of my  Rep projects, except for the two pieces I shared last edition, are still on the looms at the studio. However, I thought I'd better drop a line in case it is a while before I can send out another entry. This little town is positioned to get a terrific a storm over the next 48 hours. Hurricane Sandy is slated to hit only about two hours southeast of us and we are expecting a fast eight inches of rain from the north. Our local emergency management team has issued a 'state of emergency' for the area and we are not to drive cars in town today, school's canceled etc..... Power outage seems to be a given, it will just be a matter of length of time. Current estimates range from two days to two weeks. I have accumulated all the suggested items to withstand the power outage and I am up on a hill outside of the flood zone. Unfortunately, Vavstuga is right on the river, so we will be closely watching the water levels the next couple of days and hope there is not the devastating repeat of the flood that hit a little over a year ago.

Going-
Going-
Gone - almost
Since I have no textiles, I thought I'd throw out this set of pictures of one of my favorite tree's fall transformation from the last week. I would guess it is indicative of how all the trees will look once the coming winds and rain have their way.

No better spot for this job!
Here is the view  from the threading project I worked on for a couple of days last week. What a terrific spot to get to work. I wish I had a loom out here in the dining room. The threading is for a lovely 8/2 cotton tablecloth that will be a project for a class later this year. It's a 100 cm, so a bit larger than normal.

This little guy flew into the studio when the door got left open for a couple of minutes. I guess he felt all the warmth and magic coming from within and thought he'd like to join us. The yellow sign on the shop across the river reads, "Gifts of Nature". How fitting.

Have a wonderful end to October and keep the east coast in your thoughts this week. Our neighbors are in for a rough ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment